Saturday, April 23, 2016

Middle Rhine Scenic Cruising – April 20 – Wednesday

The Rhine River flows through one of Germany’s most scenic regions. This area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We passed vineyard blanketed hills whose steep slopes require them to pick grapes by hand, as they have done for centuries.


I was going to try and give you the names of the castles, but looking at my notes and the pictures, I am not sure which is which. So, I will just share with you some pictures and when I do know something I will tell you about it. These are the first two castles that we saw and the church is called Claymons Chapel.




Here are some more castles along the way. The last picture is a mileage marker. Every kilometer there is one of these mile markers to tell you where you are along the Rhine.






I do not know if you all are familiar with the Lorelei rock, but here is the story. It rises 430 feet above the river, where the river narrows down to not much over 350 feet wide. Over the centuries, tricky currents and treacherous rocks have spelled disaster for many ships passing this point. This inspired the German poets, Clemens Brentano and Heinrich Heine, to invent the ‘Legend of the Lorelei’, which told of a beautiful girl whose seductive song lured mariners to their doom on the rocks at the foot of the impressive cliff.

Here are some pictures of the rock, with the flags on top and the statue of Lorelei.







And a few more castles without names.





These two castles are next to each other and were owned by brothers. They got into a feud and you will see in one of these pictures a wall that one brother built to keep the other brother from his castle.






And this is the last castle and is called Marksburg Castle. It is the only castle in the Rhine Valley that has not been destroyed and then rebuilt.








We are now going to dock in Koblenz, Germany and then guess what? We are going to the Marksburg castle, because we have not seen enough castles. So, more castle pictures to follow.

We just got to Paris a little while ago, and the internet is great, so will post the rest soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment